Construction to Close Westbound Airport Spur
Starting Wednesday, the westbound portion of the airport spur will be closed to traffic. Eastbound (into the airport) will still be open.
From the Wisconsin Department of Transportation:
The Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) will fully close the Airport Spur (WIS 119) westbound leaving the Airport for reconstruction beginning at 6 a.m. on February 20, 2012 through late 2012. “Motorists leaving the Airport will be detoured to Howell Avenue, said Ryan Luck, WisDOT construction chief. “The Airport Spur eastbound into the Airport remains open.”
Traffic exiting General Mitchell Airport should utilize the following detour route information:
From General Mitchell International Airport to I-43/94 NB (to Downtown Milwaukee):
- From Airport, traffic heading to Downtown Milwaukee exit to Howell Avenue and turn right (north) on Howell Ave to Howard Avenue. Turn left (west) on Howard Ave to access I-43/94 NB.
- Traffic heading to Downtown Milwaukee can also use Howell Avenue northbound to Layton Avenue eastbound to I-794 WEST (NB) as an alternate route.
From General Mitchell International Airport to I-94 EAST (SB) (to Racine/Kenosha/Chicago):
- From Airport, traffic heading to Racine/Kenosha/Chicago will need to exit to Howell Avenue and turn left (south) on Howell Ave to College Avenue. Turn right (west) on College Ave to access I-94 EAST (SB).
General Mitchell International Airport to I-43/894 WB (to Madison/Beloit):
- Traffic from the Airport heading to I-43/894 WB (to Madison/Beloit) will need to exit to Howell Avenue and turn right (north) on Howell Ave to Layton Avenue. Turn left (west) on Layton Ave to 27th St. Turn right (north) on 27th St to access I-43/894 WB.
Demolition of the WIS 119 bridge over 13th Street is scheduled next week between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m.. 13th Street will be fully closed to through traffic during those hours to safely accommodate overhead work. This work is weather-dependent.
Future work associated with the westbound Airport Spur Reconstruction includes:
- Daytime demolition of the WIS 119 bridge over 14th Street. 14th Street will be fully closed at WIS 119, late February to mid-November
- Overnight demolition of the WIS 119 bridge over 6th Street, mid-March
- Daytime demolition of the WIS 119 bridge over the Canadian Pacific Railroad