Carbon monoxide (CO) is a odorless, colorless, tasteless and toxic gas. Nicknamed "The silent killer," carbon monoxide is totally undetectable by human senses.
Since carbon monoxide is a by-product of imcomplete combustion, any fuel-burning appliance, vehicle or tool that is inadequately vented or maintained can be a potential source of carbon monoxide gas.
People are at an increased risk of carbon monoxide poisoning during the winter months. Well-insulated, airtight homes (primarily newer construction) and malfunctioning heating equipment can produce dangerously high and potentially deadly concentrations of carbon monoxide.
Protect yourself and your family by purchasing and installing carbon monoxide detector alarms. A properly working carbon monoxide detector alarm can provide an early warning, before deadly gases build up to dangerous levels.
Please be safe!
Courtesy of the Greenfield Fire Department.