Recently, we re-joined the . We had a membership a few years
ago and had been members for years, but, when our income changed, it was
one of the first things we cut out. It was disappointing and we missed it
and we are glad to be back.
So, why is it so good to be back? Here are 10 reasons I love the Southwest YMCA:
1. Huge variety of activities for pre-school aged children. Everything from
art to dance to movement to swimming.
2. Large variety of swimming lessons for many skill levels, many time slots
and different types of schedules (like weekly, daily, etc.)
3. The small pool for beginning, young swimmers. This pool is warmer,
shallower and in a separate room from the big pool. Much less intimidating
for the those just being introduced to water.
4. Kid care for kids up through 10-years-old. On days when they don't have classes, the girls can go directly into the kid care area. Though it can be a bit crazy in there some days, it's always adequately staffed and the girls always have fun. They love the activity gym with the slide and the huge variety of toys available. It's a great way to break up the day when they need a break from one another.
5. Gymnastics. They have a fantastic gymnasium and equipment for
gymnastics, experienced instructors and a nice variety of programs and
6. Nice, friendly, patient teachers, instructors and employees. The people
who work there, not only the instructors, are so very nice and helpful. One
of my girls went to 3-year-old pre-school at the Southwest YMCA (not sure if they still offer it). Her teachers were fantastic and really seemed to enjoy working with children.
7. Group exercise schedule. Although I have yet to join a class, I love how
flexible the schedule is and the sheer variety of classes. I also like that
you pay per class, so there is no pressure if you try something just to see
if you'd like it.
8. Indoor track. When my youngest was a baby, she hated the Kid Care (my
other two have always loved it, though). I used to put her in a sling and
walk the indoor track with her. It overlooks the basketball courts, so you
are entertained by pick-up games of basketball on your walk.
9. The equipment. Admittedly, I prefer the treadmill to the exclusion of
most other equipment. They have plenty of treadmills and a large number of
other equipment as well. It's not usually too crowded (I suppose this
depends somewhat on the time of day and year - watch out for the January
New Year's Resolution-ers! Probably true at all gyms, though). They also
have a separate, smaller room for those who prefer a more private place to
10. The location. Though located on the exact opposite side of Greenfield
from where we live, it is a very beautiful, natural setting. I love that part of Greenfield and the trails that wind around it.