School news dominated Greenfield Patch’s coverage throughout much of 2012, from school board election coverage to recent unfounded threats of violence at the high schools.
Here are some of the top school news stories of the last 12 months.
- Greenfield Education Association president Kerri Jo Patten made waves in the Greenfield School District when she publicly spoke out about against administration after she was unexpectedly transferred from a grade-school position at Maple Grove Elementary to a Middle School opening, one of many changes made at Maple Grove prior to the 2012-13 school year.
- As Patten continued to voice her strong opinions about her own situation and issues she had with board-staff policies over the summer, some Greenfield School Board members also spoke out, questioning the district’s culture and string of resignations. Those comments led to some district employees to showing their support for administration.
- Just as school start times has been a hot topic in the Greenfield School District for years, the Whitnall School District 2012-13 calendar, which included some start-time changes as well, was hotly debated for months.
- Whitnall put itself on the high school football map with the opening of its beautiful new, $6.5-million stadium Falcon Field, equipped with a video scoreboard, synthetic turf and concourse.
- Who would have thought a concession stand would have generated so much buzz?